Recipe: Braised Lamb Shanks With Polenta"Lamb shanks are a wonderful way to express that an occasion is important and help your guests feel special."
Lamb shanks are a wonderful way to express that an occasion is important and help your guests feel special. It is easy to prepare and cab be paired with many things as a side, but is best with polenta!
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 5-6 Hours | Serves: 4
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes, crushed
- Optional: Substitute Canadian steak seasoning for salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Rub the lamb with salt and pepper (or Canadian steak seasoning). Braise in skillet until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet. In the same skillet, add onions, garlic and carrots, and stir occasionally until softened, about five minutes. Stir in tomatoes and then transfer to a Dutch oven. Then add the lamb shanks to the Dutch oven. Cover and cook on low heat until tender, about 5-6 hours.
- Serve the shank on top of soft polenta and drizzle with sauce from Dutch oven.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 4
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Boil the water and slowly drop in the cornmeal, whisking constantly to not form lumps. Reduce heat to low, add the heavy cream and butter, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and Parmesan cheese.
Food photography © Stephanie Mullins with styling by Teresa Blackburn. Excerpted with permission from A Place at the Table by Kelly Minter. Copyright 2019, B&H Publishing Group.